All disciplinary charges laid against Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service Permanent Secretary Alfred Ilukena have been dropped, the acting Secretary to Cabinet, Bro-Matthew Shinguandja, said.
This comes almost two years after Ilukena was accused of having used his position when he was still the Education Ministry’s accounting officer to recommend the awarding of a N$47 million food tender to a company co-owned by his wife.
Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila last year appointed former Labour Commissioner, now Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Labour, Bro-Mathew Shinguandja, to handle the matter after Secretary to Cabinet George Simataa recused himself because of close family ties with Ilukena.
This follows the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) recommendation to the Prime Minister in 2014 to have Ilukena dragged before a disciplinary hearing for his involvement in the tender.
“It is my pleasure to inform you that the disciplinary committee has not found you guilty on all the main and alternative charges as they were brought against you,” read the statement by Shinguandja on Tuesday.
“As the consequences thereof, all charges have fallen and you are therefore cleared of any wrongdoing in this matter,” further reads the statement.
Contacted for comment yesterday, Ilukena said he felt relieved after such a long time of carrying such a heavy burden for something he knew was not true.
“At least my family and I can now have a true festive season,” said the seemingly relieved Ilukena, adding that he felt let down by the very system he served for over 26 years.
“I have always maintained my professionalism throughout my career as a civil servant. I pride myself to have achieved my dreams on my own without being favoured,” he said.
Although the damage has already been done, Ilukena said, he is happy that it is all over.
“My name, my professional reputation, my family’s name, all these are things that will remain with me forever because of the damage done,” he said, adding that he hoped that his employer will come forward and make the announcement to the public as his case was highly publicised.
He said the marathon case cost him over N$120 000 in legal fees.