Hut fire claims two lives

by Obrein Simasiku

Hut fire claims two lives

Omuthiya

Two minor siblings and their puppies were burned beyond recognition in the early morning hours of last Friday at Onyaanya after the mahangu storage hut in which they were playing caught fire, while their six-year-old brother escaped unhurt.

Their elder brother managed to escape from the hut and rushed to the neighbours to seek help, but it was too late as the roof had collapsed and nothing could be done to rescue the victims.



Their parents reportedly went to Omuthiya for shopping and arrived late at home only to find people gathered around the scene of the fire. This was confirmed at the scene by Constituency Councillor Petrus Kambala.

It is alleged the four-year-old deceased boy allegedly caused the blaze after he took fire from a hut that is usually used for cooking.
“The family is traumatised now considering that they lost their children, and their little mahangu harvest has also perished now, leaving them in abject hunger. I will however make contacts with them and see when is the funeral and how we can assist them,” stated Kambala.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.