Two buses burn to ashes

New Era Newspaper Namibia
Official Logo for New Era Newspaper 2016 version


An Econolux bus carrying 48 government employees caught fire on Friday on its way back to Windhoek from Oanob Dam where government workers had retreated to celebrate Secretaries Day.

According to the weekly crime report the bus driver told the police the fire started in the engine while the bus was in motion, and he stopped the vehicle and evacuated all the passengers.

Although the bus burnt out completely no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, but a few ladies lost their handbags in the blaze. Police investigations into the cause of the fire continue.

In a similar incident a white Quantum minibus carrying 12 people caught fire and completely burnt out on the Ondangwa – Omuthyia main road, at the village of Onyanya on Thursday at around 17h00, on its way to Windhoek.

The driver of the vehicle reported to the police that the fire started in the engine. He stopped and assisted the passengers to disembark from the vehicle, and no injuries were reported.

The body of an unidentified male was found in Julius Nyerere Street in Okahandja Park with three stab wounds, two in the chest and one on the right side of the body, on Saturday at around 02h20. The police have appealed to residents of Okuryangava, but especially Okahandja Park, who are missing a family member to visit the Namibian Police Mortuary in Windhoek to assist with the identification of the body.

Five incidents of drowning were reported to the police over the weekend. On Friday at about 22h00, Surprise Kasuto, 17, drowned in the swimming pool at Safari Hotel while swimming.

He was a learner at Wennie du Plessis Secondary School in Gobabis and was at the hotel for a prize-giving ceremony. His next of kin were informed and police investigations continue.

In Omuthiya it was reported that David Kristian, 19, drowned while swimming in the water pond near the springs on Friday at about 10h00. He was a Grade 12 learner at Ekulo Senior Secondary School and his body was not yet recovered at the time of going to print. Police investigations continue.

The police at Oshikuku opened an inquest docket after the body of a five-year-old girl was found floating in a canal that runs across Okapya in the Oshikuku area on Thursday at about 16h30.

It is alleged that the girl, identified as Johanna Nangula Shiimi, went to the pre-primary school at about 13h00 but never returned home.

It is suspected she may have been collecting water at the canal and fell in and drowned. The next of kin were informed and police investigations continue.

The Onesi Police Station opened an inquest docket after an eight-year-old boy fell into a well at the village of Oshitha Shembungu in Onesi Constituency, on Saturday at about 15h00, and drowned.

It is alleged that the deceased, identified as Iitenge Absalom, together with two other children aged five and ten years, was sent by their mother to collect water from the well and the deceased slipped and fell into the well while collecting water. His next of kin were informed and police investigations continue.

It was also reported at the Opuwo Police Station that Kakunauye Tjiurura, 15, fell into a well at Otutati in the Opuwo area and drowned on Friday between 10h00 and 12h00.

It is alleged that the deceased was herding goats and took them to the well to drink water, and while fetching water from the well she fell in and drowned.

Her next of kin were informed and police investigations continue.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here