Chinese arrested over N$8 million extortion

0
50

 

Windhoek/Walvis Bay

The main suspect in the case in which two Chinese men reportedly tried to extort N$8 million from a fellow Chinese businessman handed himself yesterday morning to the police at Walvis Bay, where detectives are probing the case.

According to information, two Chinese businessmen held a fellow Chinese businessman at gunpoint and coerced him to change a contract so that it could state he “owed” them about N$8 million.

One of the suspects Liu Lianxing, 30, was arrested on Sunday and appeared in court yesterday while the main suspect, who cannot be named pending his appearance in court, is expected to appear in the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s Court this morning.

It is alleged that the two men threatened a fellow Chinese businessman that if his business posted a profit he should apparently owe them N$8 million.

New Era learnt that since the victim did not have money available he had to put it in writing that he would give the suspects from XYZ Customs and Clearing Agency the millions that the two suspects had tried to extort under coercive circumstances.

Police spokesperson Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi said it is not known why the Chinese men felt they were owed the N$8 million, if indeed they were, and they are investigating the matter further as more questions have been raised.

During a police briefing on Sunday, Shikwambi said two Chinese businessmen in Walvis Bay on Sunday held at gunpoint a fellow Chinese businessman and ordered him to modify a contract.

Shikwambi stated the victim signed the contract and thereafter the suspects robbed the victim of his cellphone, damaged it and hid it in the sand dunes.

“Upon the victim’s release, he alerted the police and Lianxing was arrested, while the main suspect was on the run until handing over himself yesterday morning,” stated Shikwambi who added that Lianxing has expired documents and the matter has been referred to immigration officials for further investigation.

Shikwambi said though the victim’s cellphone was recovered he escaped unhurt from the three shots fired by one of the suspects. The incident happened at 11h00 at New Industrial Area in Walvis Bay. The case opened by the police is one of extortion, attempted murder and robbery.

Meanwhile, at Eenhana a case of double attempted murder was opened after a 36-year-old mentally ill man chopped off his cousin’s left ear and left ring finger with a machete. The incident happened at Ekango Langobe in Epembe Constituency.

Shikwambi said that in self-defence the cousin, 38, drew his pistol and shot the assailant in the left arm. She said both men were treated in Eenhana State Hospital.

In Windhoek two people died in separate fires.

A four-year-old girl died in hospital after a room she was in caught fire in Okarundu Street on Saturday evening. She was identified as Ndapewa Sakaria. “When the occupants realized a fire had broken out, it had already spread and they could not extinguish it,” Shikwambi said.

She added that the fire brigade was alerted and eventually extinguished the fire. She said the girl was found in the room with severe burns and rushed to hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries.

The cause of the fire is not yet known.

In a similar case, a 24-year-old man burned beyond recognition in a fire that is suspected to have been ignited by a cigarette. The deceased was identified as Richie Uirab.

“It is alleged that the deceased, who was under the influence of alcohol… decided to go sleep inside his shack. However, before leaving, he requested one of his friends to light a cigarette and left him inside his room. It is suspected that the fire might have been caused by the cigarette,” said Shikwambi.

Police investigations into the cause of the fire continue.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here