The offices of the Namibian high commission in New Delhi, India, were reduced to ashes yesterday afternoon after fire engulfed the rented mission building. An electrical fault is suspected to have caused the fire.
New Era understands that High Commissioner Pius Dunaiski was attending a meeting elsewhere in the city when fire engulfed the building while his secretary was in a different office at the time of the incident.
“By the time they noticed the fire the smoke was too much and they could not go inside to secure some of the documents,” an official from the international relations ministry told New Era.
“The staff are still in shock from the horrific experience but we are happy no one was injured,” the official confirmed, adding that Dunaiski lost all his official documents in the inferno.
Firefighters arrived at the scene 20 minutes later but could not do much to retrieve many of the items, officials say.
The mission is now awaiting an official forensic report on the cause of the fire, although preliminary indications point to a malfunctioning air condition system as a possible cause of the fire.
“The owners of the building have been informed about the incident and will soon meet with the mission officials to discuss the way forward.”
No one from the ministry of international relations in Windhoek was immediately available for comment by the time of going to print last night.