Operation Omake gains momentum in Oshikoto 

by Obrein Simasiku

Operation Omake gains momentum in Oshikoto 

Tsumeb

Oshikoto Police Deputy Commissioner Petrus Shigwedha has urged local residents, especially women and children to take an active part in activities of Operation Omake in the region, considering the fact that they are often the victims of crime.

Operation Omake is a crime prevention initiative launched by Minister of Safety and Security (Rtd) Major-General Charles Namoloh to help de-bush riverbeds and thin out bushes in identified crime-prone areas across the country. Namoloh launched Operation Omake following a directive from President Hage Geingob.



He was speaking at the second day of Operation Omake on Thursday, near Tsumeb at a spot where they are clearing bushes. So far they have cleared bushes from Engen Service Station, Omatara open market and behind COSDEC.

“What we are doing is to sensitise the community in general not to wait until a crime has been committed in these bushes. Instead, this should be voluntary activities to pre-protect ourselves,” said Deputy Commissioner Shigwedha.

Since the launch of Operation Omake there have been no crimes recorded that have taken place in bushes or riverbeds. Furthermore, Shigwedha said their operations are not only inclined to clearing riverbeds and bushy areas, but also clearing bushes along the railway.

“I have noted with great concern that there are children living along the path of the railway who have been throwing stones and other objects on the railway line, which block the railway. So we also intend to clear the path along the railway and remove such objects to avoid an accident,” Shigwedha said.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.