The eight people who died as a result of food poisoning were buried at Ohamarenga, some 20 kilometers from Okanguati in the Epupa Constituency yesterday.
Councilor of Opuwo constituency Tjeundo Kazeongere told New Era yesterday that grief-stricken people flocked from many parts of Opuwo and beyond to attend the burial of the adults and children, who died after eating poisoned porridge.
“Yes, we buried the eight people today (Monday) and I must say people came out in numbers to support the bereaved families,” said Kazeongere, who spoke via telephone from Ohamarenga.
Kazeongere urged people to be very cautious when preparing meals. He stressed that hygiene is of utmost importance when preparing meals.
It is believed the porridge the victims consumed was accidentally poisoned. The children reportedly prepared porridge while their mothers were ploughing, according to a Nampa report. When they saw the porridge was too thin they added the sediment of traditional beer, not knowing that it is a poisonous substance.
The tragic incident happened at Otjikondavirongo village in the Otjomuru area of the Epupa Constituency.