NTA plans to increase intake for vocational training

1
126

Windhoek

In an effort to increase employment and self-employment through encouraging the development of entrepreneurship opportunities for the youth and the unemployed, the Namibia Training Authority (NTA) plans to double the current intake of 50 000 within the next five years.

NTA acting chief executive officer Jerry Beukes said they do not only plan to increase the number of intakes, but also produce a quality, competent and employable workforce for an industrialised Namibia.
Although Namibia remains committed to transform into an industrialised and knowledge-based economy, there is still however a scarcity of skilled labour.

According to statistics, 25 percent of those who reach matric are academically orientated, while the remaining 75 percent are vocational students.

Many students will as of today know their fate when the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture releases the Grade 10 and 12 higher level full-time and part-time results, following a speedy conclusion to the marking and processing of examination data.

“The national responsiveness of graduates to the national developmental agenda is key. So we should increase numbers and also increase quality,” Beukes said.

With the agreement on phase two of the Promotion of Vocational Education and Training Project between NTA and the German government through GIZ that was signed last week, Beukes also revealed they plan to send a group of 13 trainers to Germany to be trained extensively in automotive work for six weeks.

Germany is one of the countries in the world which has done exceptionally well in terms of vocational training, the sector being one of its key success factors for its economic strength and social stability.

Germany is an exception to the current trend of rising youth unemployment, with a rather low rate of 7.7 percent while most other countries – Namibia included – are in double-digit figures.

The Minister of Higher Education, Training and Innovation Dr Itah Kandjii-Murangi says it’s evident that technical and vocational education and training is considered the most applicable form of education capable of meeting the vast and growing scale of global education and training needs.

It is against this background that the government plans to expand vocational training centres across all the 14 regions.

Currently, Namibia only has seven vocational training centres. These are the Zambezi Vocational Training Centre, Windhoek Vocational Training Centre, Valombola Vocational Training Centre, Rundu Vocational Training Centre, Okakarara Vocational Training Centre, Nakayale Vocational Training Centre and Eenhana Vocational Training Centre.

The agreement on the promotion of vocational education and training between Namibia and Germany started in October 2012 and was initially planned for a duration of almost 30 months until February 2015.
During 2014, the two governments jointly decided to extend the project phase up until September 2017 and to expand the volume of cooperation up to a total of 10 million Euro (approximately N$170 million).

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here