Any hopes of Namibia qualifying for her first-ever World Cup were smashed on Sunday after the Brave Warriors lost 2-0 to a more physical and determined Guinea in Casablanca, Morocco.
With Sunday’s victory, Guinea secured an aggregate score of 3-0, having already beaten Namibia 1-0 at home on Thursday during the 1st leg of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers second round tie at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek.
Despite last Thursday’s defeat, coach Ricardo Mannetti believed it was still possible to beat Guinea and progress to the third and final qualification round for Russia 2018, but on Sunday night in Morocco, Guinea were a different side.
“Guinea just upped their game and were more physical in their approach, a much better side and much-improved from Windhoek. We could unfortunately not keep up with them… too many professionals and highly disciplined. No wonder they are doing so well in their AFCON qualifiers,” Mannetti said.
Mannetti has now set his sights on 2019 AFCON, after his side bowed out of the race for a place at the World Cup at the second hurdle. The Brave Warriors still have a lot to do in the 2019 AFCON qualifiers, having lost twice so far to Senegal at home and Niger away.
“I’m now more convinced that 2019 AFCON is still a good target for us, as we still need to improve in a few important areas”, Mannetti said.