WINDHOEK– On a regular basis we consume foods and drinks that most of us do not think contain poison, whilst the ingredients commonly found in our food and drinks contain toxics that lead to poor health and a gloomy lifestyle.
An unhealthy lifestyle puts stress on your body, cause disease that you don’t really want to experience, and make life seem inactive and full of worries. Says Natural Health Coach, Dunja Berger lastTuesday when she hosted a health session titled ‘Express Detox’ at the Roman Catholic Hospital Veranda. Berger demonstrated how to eliminate toxins from the body and environment, the toxins in homes, pantry, body and life, why detoxing might be right for and the benefits of detoxing. She defines toxins as chemical or poison that is known to have harmful effects on the body, which can come from food or water, from chemicals used to grow or prepare food, and even from the air that we breathe.
Toxins are also found in things such as our water, toothpaste, dairy, beverages and so much more.
Some of the symptoms that show that you are overloaded with toxic are excess weight, brain fog, headaches, fatigue, depression, itchy skin, cravings, constipation, bloating, joint pain, mood, insomnia and so much more.
Berger says detoxing proved to be the way to abolishing toxins from our bodies.
The benefits of detoxing include a stronger immune system, increased physical energy, improved mood, reduced anxiety and depression, less cravings, pain relief, better digestion, sharper concentration, weight loss, healthy skin and nails as well as improved relationships.
“You can start detoxing by decreasing the amount of toxins you put into your body and by supporting your body’s detox and elimination systems,” she says.
Berger’s steps through your detoxing journey.
How to get started with detoxing:
- Set Your Intention to Improve Your Health & Wellbeing
- Get the Whole Family Involved
- Prepare for it to get worse, before it gets better
- Start where you are and remember it’s a lifestyle change
- Be discerning in the way you eat, drink, breathe & live.
Know what you consume:
The less toxins, chemicals and junk you feed your body, the more vibrant a life you lead.
- Go Organic – free of harsh chemicals, preservatives and better for the environment
- Cut our processed and junk food
- “If it’s quick and microwave friendly, it’s not for you”
- Cut out sugar
- Read your food labelsFood Preparation
- Using coconut oil to cook and bake
- Grilling instead of frying
- Steaming instead of boiling
- Eating raw once in a while
- Using non- teflon coated cookware – (nonstick)
Drink a lot of water
- 70% of our bodies are made of water
- Your brain uses up most of the water you consume!
- Your skin stays wrinkle free and radiant
- Your kidneys flush out toxins from your body
- Your mood improves instantly due to more energy!
Detox Your Home
- Cleaning products – switch to natural alternatives
- Decorate with natural fabrics – linen, bamboo, silk
- Use no VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints
- Grow indoor plants – oxygen rich plants
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs
- Compost kitchen scraps – vegetables/fruits/eggs shells
- Recycle and reuse
- Always ensure windows are open for air flow and sunshine
Lifestyle: The Ultimate Detox
- Cutting out smoking and excessive drinking
- Exercising a little, every day – even just for 30min
- Connecting to people NOT Facebook, Whatsapp or Email – True Connections last a lifetime, not a battery life
- Cultivating a spiritual practice and life purpose
- Practicing a sense of gratitude every day – Gratitude Diary