WALVIS BAY – Walvis Bay resident, David Thomas, 46, accused of the murder of his 8-year-old son, last Tuesday made an appearance in court.
The incident occurred on September 28 this year at the accused’s home in Walvis Bay.
Thomas made his second appearance on Tuesday before Magistrate Vicky Nicoladis.
Thomas who remains out on bail of N$ 5000 had his case remanded to December 03 for further police investigations and to enable him to formally apply for legal representation.
During his first appearance on September 30, Thomas pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and told the court he did not kill his son. “I took the pistol and cocked it, because I wanted to put it in the safe. It accidentally went off,” Thomas, a general worker at Erongo RED at Walvis Bay said during his first appearance.
He faces a charge of murder, read in conjunction with the Domestic Violence Act.
Thomas was arrested following the incident that occurred during a house party at his home in John Muyo Street in Kuisebmond. He allegedly shot and killed his son who was sleeping.
Police told New Era Thomas who was heavily intoxicated entered the room where his son was sleeping with a loaded handgun apparently with the intention to put it in a safe.
It is believed some of the people felt uncomfortable with the gun around them and requested Thomas to put it away.
He allegedly went into the room where his son was sleeping to put the gun in the safe.
Minutes later his wife heard a gunshot and went to investigate. The lifeless body of his son was only noticed after a family member came into the room with a flashlight and saw that the child had been struck by a bullet in the chest.
During the arrest, the Acting Crime Investigations Coordinator for the Erongo Region, Inspector Erastus Iikuyu said Thomas was drunk when the incident occurred. “The suspect could not even recall the shooting the next day during questioning by the police.”
By Eveline de Klerk