Teen perishes in shack fire

6
53
Hilia Johannes showing New Era her sister’s shack, which was gutted by fire last Sunday.

WINDHOEK – A teenager died in a shack fire in the informal settlement of Oohambo-dha-Nehale on the outskirts of Katutura last Sunday.

Oohambo-dha-Nehale community leader, Selma Alugheti, confirmed to New Era that Maria Mwadhina aged 10 years and a pupil at Martti Ahtisaari Primary School was killed in the family shack when it caught fire around 10 pm on Sunday. “Neighbours heard the teenager screaming in the shack by the time they arrived to help the shack was already ablaze,” she said. Alugheti says the emergency services were called in, but the shack was already completely gutted and the teenager had died when the fire brigade arrived. According to the aunt of the deceased teenager, Hilia Johannes, they left her studying and went to the shops around 9 pm only to return to find the shack on fire.

“We suspect that she might have left the candle on and fell asleep,” she said. Johannes pleaded with anybody out there to help since the family has lost everything in the fire. “They have lost everything, clothing, birth certificates, identification documents. I mean everything,” she stressed. Mwadhina was laid to rest yesterday in the Omusati Region.

 

 

By Kuzeeko Tjitemisa

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here