Moses to Trade Blows in Tokyo

0
13

By Carlos Kambaekwa

WINDHOEK

Namibia’s WBA Lightweight World Champion hopeful Paulus “the Hitman” Moses is unlikely to enjoy his moment of glory on home soil when he takes on Japanese boxer Yasuki Kobori, for the WBA Lightweight World title in Tokyo, Japan, on the 11th of September, later this year.

Moses is the mandatory challenger for the WBA Lightweight World title after his stable the Nestor Tobias Boxing & Fitness Academy accepted a “Step Aside Fee” to allow Kobori to stake a claim at the title held by former champion Jose Alfaro of Nicaragua, earlier this year.

The quicksilver Japanese boxer wrestled the title away from Alfaro in only his first title defence with a technical knock-out in the third of their 12-round bout to set up a confrontation with the unbeaten Namibian.

Moses’ handler Nestor Tobias has cited the lack of interest amongst the local business community as the main reason for the this historic bout being staged in Japan, despite calls from local boxing fanatics to have the world title fight here in Namibia.

“Like I’ve said before, one needs an amount of four million dollars to stage a world title fight of such magnitude and despite numerous efforts to line up suitable sponsors for this historic bout, nobody was prepared to cough up the required amount of funds needed to make this dream become a reality,” said Tobias regretfully.

Tobias has now thrown in his weight with world acclaimed boxing promoter Don King in conjunction with another Japanese promoter to have the eagerly awaited bout staged in Japan.

“It’s a pity Hitman will not be lifting the belt in front of his own supporters, but I’m equally confident the boy has what it takes to beat the hell out of Kobory and bring the title home, and judging from our preparations so far – Namibia will soon have its second world champion after the legendary Harry Simon, believe you me.”

The 27-year-old Moses is unbeaten is 23 fights in the paid ranks with 16 of those bouts failing to go the full distance.

Plans are also afoot to have at least one boxer from his stable on the under cards and the names of Jatoorora “the Sting” Tjingaveta, Paulus “Ali” Nuumbembe, Vikapita Meroro and Jason “Taks” Naule have been branded out as potential candidates.

Meanwhile, Tobias has confirmed that the much-anticipated WBF Super Middleweight bout that was to have taken place between Namibia’s Wilbeforce and Tsepo Masego, in Johannesburg, this Saturday, has been indefinitely postponed.

“I honestly don’t know the reasons behind the postponement as I was just informed by his promoter, Soweto-based Obed Molekwa, who called to inform me that the fight was off without offering any further explanation.

Nevertheless, that’s the business of boxing but he has agreed to cough up the mandatory 10% fee of Shihepo’s purse.”

Another development in the Nestor Tobias stable is that Jason “Taks” Naule has been thrown another lifeline with a rematch after losing his WBA Pan African Junior Welterweight title against South African challenger Kaizer Mabuza in Windhoek, earlier this year.

The rematch has been set for the 16th of August at the Windhoek Country Club Resort and Casino later this year.

Tobias has also made known that two of his prized assets lightweight boxer Jatoorora Tjingaveta and Paulus Ambunda (Bantamweight) are scheduled to fight in Johannesburg, against yet to be named opponents on the 29th of this month.

Tobias says negotiations are under way to keep recently crowned WBA Pan-African Welterweight champion Paulus Ali Nuumbembe in good shape.

“I’m busy lining up a decent opponent from either Germany or the United Kingdom for a non-title bout against Ali at the Windhoek Country Club – preferably on the 17th of October this year, because Ali needs to improve his ratings.”

Nuumbembe defea-ted South African boxer Welcome Ntsingila for the WBA Pan-African Welterweight title on a unanimous points decision in Windhoek
last month.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here