One Africa Television Announces Partnership with SA Broadcaster

0
12

By Staff Reporter

WINDHOEK

One Africa Television, Namibia’s private commercial, terrestrial broadcaster, has announced a major investment in the company by newly licensed South African broadcaster, Telkom Media. The announcement comes on the anniversary of One Africa’s fourth year of operations.

Announcing the deal, Paul van Schalkwyk, founder and managing director of One Africa, said he believed the investment was good for the Namibian broadcasting industry as it provided new avenues for growth for the local broadcaster.

“The transaction with Telkom Media now makes the One Africa’s dream of expanding into Africa a reality,” Van Schalkwyk said.

According to Connie Molusi, Chairman of Telkom Media, the company is extremely excited about the investment in One Africa Television.

“One Africa Television has created a ground breaking free-to-air broadcasting model which is uniquely adapted to the requirements of the continent. We have no doubt that One Africa must rate as one of the best free-to-air television stations on the African continent,” he said.

Telkom Media has acquired a 49 percent stake in the company, while the remaining 51 percent shareholding remains in Namibian hands. Local shareholders include two well known Namibian BEE investment companies, Aantu Investments and Consulting and Stimulus Investments, as well as One Africa senior management.

According to Van Schalkwyk the partnership with Telkom Media is the next logical step for the private television station.

“When we started broadcasting One Africa Television four years ago many industry observers predicted that we were doomed to fail, especially after the quick demise of our predecessor, TVAfrica. Four years later our viewers, advertisers and industry analysts agree that One Africa is definitely here to stay and growing by the day.

“Today we are probably the most popular commercial broadcaster in Namibia. Our latest research indicates that One Africa has more than 400 000 viewers watching three and a half hours of programming every evening, which makes us a very powerful advertising medium,” he said.

“There can be no doubt that our spectacular growth is due to the enormous support received from our viewers and advertisers as well as the persistence, passion and hard work of our staff, sometimes under the most trying circumstances.”

During the short span of 48 months One Africa television has grown from a small Windhoek based broadcaster to a fully fledged national private television broadcaster enjoying a huge following and popularity.

With the completion of its current expansion programme by the end of next month, One Africa expects to cover a projected 90 percent of estimated television viewers in Namibia in their national footprint.

The towns and major centres covered by the One Africa Television broadcasts include: Eenhana, Gobabis, Grootfontein, Henties Bay, Karasburg, Karibib, Katima Mulilo, Keetmanshoop, Lǟ

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here