By Anna Shilongo
Seven young men who are accused of murdering 31-year-old NDF soldier Shipandeni Kanyemba made their second appearance at Windhoek Magistrate’s Court yesterday.
At their first appearance last week Friday, accused number one, two and four were denied bail.
Accused number one was 21-year-old Jeandre Du Plessis, accused number two was 19-year-old Quinton Martins, accused number four was 18-year-old Morne Buys, while accused number three, five, six and seven, aged between 14 and 17, were minors.
The three adults were yesterday granted bail of N$1 000, while the four minors were granted bail under custody of their parents.
The group is accused of hacking Kanyemba to death last week Monday evening in Dorado Park, just 40 meters away from his home.
The late Kanyemba and his brother were reportedly walking along Victoria Street in Dorado Park at the time of the attack. Kanyemba would not flee from the attackers, while his young brother ran for his life, with three of the seven in pursuit.
Police said the deceased was murdered with an unknown object but according to family members he was hacked with a panga on his head.
The seven also robbed Kanyemba of his cell phone, said a family member.
Kanyemba, who died on the spot, was buried in the North over the weekend.
However, family members of the late Kanyemba expressed disappointment with the law enforcement, adding that the case was not being handled fairly.
They are not happy with the N$1 000 bail given to the three accused.
“Does it mean that our son’s life was worth a N$1 000 bail? It was not long after we buried our son and these people were already given bail. This is not fair. We will leave no stone unturned until these suspects are fairly punished for what they have committed. You can imagine what pain they have caused to our lives. It’s so hard to believe that our son had to die such a terrible death,” said uncle of the deceased Robson Haufiku.
The family was also not happy with the seven suspects’ families, claiming that they do not appear to be taking the matter seriously.
“How could they? They feel all this is a joke. They have the guts to crack jokes outside the court while we are still mourning our son. They don’t even seem to express shock, if only they could put themselves into our shoes,” another family member commented after the court session yesterday.
The suspects will appear again on July 6 in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court.