By Wezi Tjaronda WINDHOEK The bodies of the victims of last Thursday’s horror accident, which were being held at the Otjiwarongo mortuary, have been transferred to Tsumeb. After the accident, which happened close to midnight some 12 km out of Grootfontein, bodies were distributed between the mortuaries of three towns, namely, Tsumeb, Otjiwarongo and Grootfontein due to a lack of capacity at Grootfontein. Yesterday, the Deputy Director of the National Road Safety Council, Eugene Tendekule, said this was done to make it easier for the families of the victims to shuttle between the towns to identify their loved ones. He said the council has now made arrangements with service providers in Tsumeb to make room for the bodies and body parts that were spread in the different places. “We wanted to bring everyone together,” said Tendekule. At the moment, Tsumeb has 14 bodies while the remaining three are at Grootfontein mortuary. He said post-mortems have started in Tsumeb and the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund (MVAF) has arranged for extra doctors to expedite the process. Preliminary investigations indicate that about five of the victims are from Zimbabwe based on the documents that were scattered or found on the bodies. But Tendekule was quick to point out that this would have to be confirmed by the relatives, who are yet to be officially informed through the foreign mission, a process that has already started. The police are yet to release the names of the victims because the identification process is ongoing Meanwhile, in yesterday’s edition, we stated that it had been established that the NDF driver was at fault. New Era was informed by the MVAF last week that after establishing the facts of the accident, the driver towing the cargo carrier was at fault. MVAF Technical Adviser, Chris Greenland, told New Era from Botswana yesterday that when the fund received the information on Thursday, the official position was that the driver was at fault and that is why the fund accepted liability for the accident. “I do not know whether that position has changed,” he said. But the NDF said yesterday the investigations were ongoing and it was not conclusive yet as to who was at fault. The Namibia Road Safety Council said last week it would launch forensic investigations to determine what had happened.
28 ° C