Theft Lands Cop in Hot Soup


By Chrispin Inambao WINDHOEK The credibility of the police suffered another setback with the arrest of a police sergeant on charges that she allegedly stole N$93 000 generated for the State through vehicle clearance certificates and conduct certificates that indicate applicants are not criminals. Recently several policemen were suspended at Keetmanshoop for their role in an incident that led to the death of one suspect while another lived to tell the ugly tale though he apparently suffered deep scars and long-term trauma. Police sergeant Christine Frederick, aged 34, is the latest law enforcement official at Keetmanshoop to find herself on the wrong side of the law after she was apprehended inside a relative’s house at the township at Tseiblaagte, where she tried to evade the long arm of the law. Frederick was last seen Monday and on Tuesday colleagues started asking questions of her whereabouts, which naturally alarmed her workmates who launched a search all over the town. Initially police had a number of theories as to what could have happened to their colleague, as her office was not locked and also the fact that she handles large sums of money. Confirming the latest incident to rock the force at Keetmanshoop, Chief Inspector Josephat Abel, the regional police commander for Karas said when concerned members of the police were unable to locate her they eventually launched a joint operation with members of the Namibia Defence Force (NDF) but she could not be traced. Eventually they received intelligence that the woman was spotted within the town. When they went to one of her father’s relatives the relative revealed that the suspect was hiding in one of the rooms. When the room was opened the woman cried uncontrollably. She was eventually arrested after she failed to account for N$93 000 in cash that was kept in a safe inside her office. She was charged with theft or alternatively fraud, the charge on which she was brought before a magistrate at Keetmanshoop yesterday morning. Her case was postponed to April 13 pending further police investigations and as the magistrate did not grant any bail, she remains in police custody.