Hitman Retains Title


By Kuvee Kangueehi WINDHOEK Namibia’s World Boxing Association (WBA) Pan-African champion Paulus “Hitman’ Moses on Monday evening successfully defended his title for the first time, at the Windhoek Country Club Resort. Moses won the fight by a unanimous decision after a tough 12-round-bout against challenger Misheck Kondwane from Zimbabwe. Although at no stage Moses looked like losing the fight, Kondwane proved to be a tough nut to crack and stood his ground from the first bell until the final minute of the exciting bout. Enjoying the home crowd Moses took the fight to the Zimbabwean but Kondwane was willing to take everything Moses threw at him without losing his composure. Despite slipping on the wet surface two times during the entire twelve rounds, Kondwane absorbed the left and right hooks from Moses every well and looked stronger as the bout grew older. In the first round the sixty-kilogram Namibian started strongly but soon Kondwane had him under pressure with a strong right hand blow but Moses recovered quickly, thanks to his excellent footwork. Soon afterwards the fight pattern continued until the last bell. Moses was looking for the knockout blow and started attacking Kondwane more directly but the tough Zimbabwean moved swiftly and never allowed Moses to hit him twice. Even in the final round as the Namibian crowd stood on its feet calling for Moses to knockout Kondwane, the latter stood firm, occasionally sneaking in a blow or two on Moses. Moses has now improved his record to 15 fights, undefeated. He became the WBA Pan-African champion last year when he defeated South African Joni Simphiwe with a technical knockout in the sixth round Another fight on the night, which was eye-catching, was between middleweight fighters Willbeforce Shihepo from Namibia and South African Raymond Nyathi. The two strongly built fighters entertained the crowd with fast exchanges of heavy blows which produced entertainment, sweat, blood and a victory. Shihepo first floored Nyathi in the third round after a punch which appeared to be below the belt. Referee Alfred Buqwana also spotted the infringement and instructed judges Tony Nyangiwe, Ricky Tshabala and Joe Horn to deduct points from Shihepo. Nyathi after intense and long treatment returned and put up a strong challenge, which left Shihepo with a cut on the right eye and a bloodied mouth. However, Shihepo in the sixth and final round brought down the South African after an exchange of blows and was declared the winner. In other fights Jason Naule defeated Johannes Motlala in a single round without throwing a punch. The South African Motlala provided more of an amusement to the spectators as he flew around the place and falling without any contact. The South African really surprised everyone with his flying tactics and while the other fights produced blood, sweat and excitement, Motlala left the boxing fans with eyes full of tears from laughter.