Namibia Part of Historic TV Series

0
11

By Frederick Philander WINDHOEK A four-man camera crew of the Cuban National Television (CNT) yesterday interviewed the Head of State as part of the making of a historic television documentary series on the Angolan War for screening in the Caribbean island later this year. The Cuban ambassador to Namibia, Cipriano Castro Saez, led the film-making delegation to State House for the on-camera interview with President Hifikepunye Pohamba. “The making of the television series, titled The Angolan Epics, is the original idea of a journalist, who took part in the war in 1976, and in 1986 for the second time as a combatant. To the writer, the final script had been a landmark achievement for the project. Last year, he completed the script and sought permission and cooperation from the Cuban Defence Force. The script was approved and since last year, we have made interviews of testimonies on the Angolan war with more than 170 veterans, in which 400 000 Cuban soldiers took part,” Evello Sanchez Solis, Cuban consul to Namibia who acted as interpreter, told the Namibian Head of State. The film crew arrived on Monday from Angola where more than 80 Angolan war veterans from Cabinda to the Cunene Province were interviewed in that country. “Since our arrival in Namibia, we have also interviewed the Founding President of Namibia, Sam Nujoma, the Minister of Defence, Peter Tsheehama and many officers who had been involved in the Angolan War,” said the interpreter. The crew is leaving today for South Africa for interviews with former President Nelson Mandela and other defence force members in that country.