WINDHOEK – The Permanent Secretary (PS) of Mines and Energy, Kahijoro Kahuure, has to wait until October 2 to hear his fate in a court case stemming from allegations he drove a government vehicle without authorisation while he was Health PS Kahuure stands accused of contravening sections of the Anti-Corruption Act and the Road Traffic and Transport Act.
Kahuure is accused of operating a government vehicle without authorisation on or between November 12 and 15 2008 on the Windhoek/Hosea Kutako International Airport road.
In submissions made Friday last week, State Prosecutor Jackson Kuutondokwa argued that the State had proved beyond reasonable doubt that Kahuure is guilty of the main offence, but should the court find otherwise, enough evidence exists to convict him on an alternative charge.
According to Kuutondokwa, the accused as the authorising officer in the Ministry of Health and Social Services at the time requested official permission to use the vehicle, which was turned down, prompting him to take matters into his own hands.
Patrick Kauta, who represents Kahuure, told Magistrate Shilemba that the State dismally failed to prove its case and asked the court to dismiss the charges against his client.
Kauta argued that since the use of the vehicle in question was usually at the behest of his client, normal practice was established. He further told the court that Kahuure submitted a written request for authority and approval was granted as is normally done.
He further said the State was unable to prove unlawfulness on the part of his client and therefore asked the court to find in favour of Kahuure and set him free. Kahuure remains free on a warning.